Receive HTML?

Twist Collective Blog

Sweet Sale!

Who do we love? Our readers! So we've got a little sale going to make your February a wee bit sweeter.
sweet swag sale 

For a limited time, when you order a Twist Tote,
we’ll throw in a tape measure, two sticky note pads,
and a Twist Collective logo button.

12 oz cotton duck pocket tote. Six deep outside pockets, tape reinforced seams, double thickness base. Big enough for a full-on sweater project, or if you're anything like us, two full-on sweater projects.

Available in the shop.

We have a few totes left, but no more sticky notes. You can still get a tape measure, but the sale ends in 4 hours!

Sabbatical: Tubular Cast-On


by Connie Chang Chinchio

originally posted to her blog.

For Sabbatical, I worked a kind of tubular cast on for the hems. To work a 3×3 tubular cast on, it’s very important that the cast on has the same number of knit stitches as it does purl stitches. If it doesn’t, then the resulting edge will slant — not a very attractive look. For those sizes where the knits don’t equal the purls, work a regular long tail cast on. Otherwise, a 3×3 tubular cast on is worked by provisionally casting on half the number of stitches needed. Next, work 4 rows in stockinette with the 1st row worked a purl row. Then, unzip the provisional cast on and put the resultant live stitches on another needle; you now have both ends of the fabric on needles:


Fold the fabric up so the right sides (the knit sides) are facing out and the needles are parallel to each other:


With a third needle, k3 stitches from the front needle (silver needle) and then p3 stitches from the back needle (gold needle). Proceed until all stitches are worked. You then have a nice, rounded edge:


Sweetheart Scarf Fundraiser for Haiti

A couple months ago, my daughter was badly in need of a scarf. Being a four year old and in love with all that is girly, she requested a "Cinderella scarf" and supplied me with this illustration:

sweetheart scarf

Knowing that the reality of a knitted princess could never compete with what she imagined, we settled on a puffy heart that went through a hole to make putting it on and wearing it easy and comfortable. Thankfully she's in love with it. Here's the result:

sweetheart scarf

When the earthquake in Haiti happened I thought that this would be a great time to share the pattern. It's $4 and 100% of the proceeds will go to Habitat for Humanity's efforts in Haiti.

The pattern is written for a child's size, but includes plenty of information to make it for an adult. It's so fast that even I (who rarely gets to knit) whipped it out before my daughter's 4 year old patience ran out. There's plenty of time to knit them up as Valentine's gifts. Sweetheart Scarf Shop Page.

Never Hide, Yarn Division

Ray-Ban has a new campaign with their own production team called Never Hide Films.  The most recent one features a very big ball of yarn with a secret surprise inside.


Check out their flickr stream too, for Ball O' Yarn makin'-the-scene, uh, scenes.

"Hey . . . Can you guys break me off about 1600 yards for a Sylvi?" 


Design Process: Sabbatical


by Connie Chang Chinchio

originally posted to her blog.

For Sabbatical, I was aiming for a cardigan with long, clean lines and a large scale lace motif.





Originally, I thought a worsted weight yarn would be nice in order to emphasize the scale of the lace, but after a bit of consideration and swatching, I realized that a worsted weight yarn would allow only one or two repeats of the lace and might cut off the lace strangely. Since the lace repeat is 22 sts wide, a DK to sport weight yarn (and Road to China Light fell in between these gauges when knit with a size 6 needle), seemed more appropriate. One repeat would be around 4″, meaning that even the smallest size would have at least 2 repeats per front. Because it’s lace, the sweater zips along surprisingly quickly despite the relatively small gauge of the yarn.

Here is my submission sketch, with the swatch worked in Plymouth Silk Merino:





I wanted the focus to be on the large lace motif, so other than a k3p3 rib along the sleeve cuffs and hems which flows into the lace, nothing else distracts from it. Simple waist decreases and increases help define the shape in what might be otherwise an overly boxy garment. The sweater is finished off with a plain, stockinette band which is picked up along the fronts and neck; and to keep it from rolling, a very short doubled hem is turned at the very edge. In addition, I’d recommend a shot of heavy steam to flatten out the band.

One of the things I love about designing is the opportunity to experiment with different yarns. And the Fibre Company’s Road to China Light certainly does not disappoint. It’s a wonderful combination of alpaca, cashmere, silk, and camel, and comes in subtle, kettle dyed colors.






On a parting note, I am hopeless with naming my designs. Fortunately, Julia was helpful in naming this design. She was also the one who named my Uhura in the Summer issue. As a die hard science fiction aficionado, that name delighted me. For this cardigan, she said it had an Edwardian feel about it and suggested a list of names adhering to that general theme. I liked Sabbatical because it connotes rest and lounging around to me; and at the same time reminds me of academia. So, Sabbatical it is then. I hope some of you decide to either knit it, wear it, or both, on your Sabbaticals, however long they may last.